keskiviikko 30. kesäkuuta 2010

Digital ATCs / Digitaalisesti tehdyt ATC-kortit

This issue has bothered me ever since I started making ATCs. Not because I had any problem with it, but because most of everyone else seems to have some problem with it. I make digital ATCs. It seems, that there are very few people who think it's OK. I understand that there are people who like only hand drawn or painted ATCs. They don't even accept collaged cards. Then there are niche styles like zetti or zentangles that some people adore and some really hate. There are people who only collect some certain themes. I get all that.

My cards are collaged and the medium I use is computer. I could probably draw on the computer as well, but I just love making collages and combining elements that didn't originally belong together. My style doesn't give any of that impression though, usually the result looks like the combined elements were supposed to be together. Like the image had always been that way.

My style or the quality of the cards has never been an issue. I've never heard anyone complaining about that. Most people who receive my ATCs compliment on the good quality of the card, like it had been a surprise for them. My cards are printed on a quality matte photographic paper and mounted on a sturdy cardboard with finished backings as well. What is it that make people to refuse trading with me then? Well, the fact that my cards are produced digitally.

I originally started making digital ATCs for a certain reason. I had been staying at home for over 3 years taking care of two little children with no chance of ever going anywhere without them or ever having any child-free days. I hadn't done any art since... well, since the first child was born. I was living in a really small apartment with no space for making any art either. Since I spent all my time with my children I could only have time for myself when they were both sound asleep. (If you don't have children then you may not even come to think that they don't necessarily catch the sleep simultaneously.) A baby and a toddler in a crowded space is a hazard; one should never forget any scissors, knives or good quality artist pens or markers anywhere on sight.

I have always been a creative person who has never considered drawing a "hobby". For me it's almost as automatic as breathing or walking; when I see a pen I pick it and start to draw. When I was a kid people often asked me if drawing was my hobby. I always answered no. It's not a hobby. It's a way of being, a way to reflect oneself, a way to communicate. It's like a basic need for me. And now I had been without it for 3 years and more. I had to start creating again, no matter how. And then I saw my laptop. A lamp was lit inside my head as I started wondering how come I hadn't come to think about it before! I could create digital images just as I created images or 3-dimensional art by other mediums.

The comments I have received vary from really nice to quite strange: "I'm sorry, but quite frankly I could make this kind of image if I wanted to because I know how to make digitals." That's one of the strangest. Quite frankly I could make quite many of the collages and hand drawn images I see if I wanted to because I also know how to use scissors and glue or how to hold a pen. Do I walk around telling that to others? No. Quite frankly I also think that copying someone else's work would be quite ignorant (and illegal too) and that one should respect the ideas of others even if one was able to duplicate the work of art! And why would you want to make the same image when you are capable of making your own unique work?

You can always get inspired by someone and want to make something similar, but not exactly the same. So, if I saw an image I really like, I don't rush to try and make the same image myself, I just admire the fact that someone had a great idea before I did and made a great piece of art! Sometimes different people have the same idea, and they make similar images, but they are still unique and different from each other. So why is it so hard to appreciate other people's ideas? What makes someone say "I could do that too" instead of  "that's a great idea / picture, I wish I had made it!" ? Is it away from you somehow? Do you believe that there's only limited amount of ideas in the world and if someone gets one, you are left without any?

Another thing is that some people seem to think that digitals are super easy and amazingly fast to do. They are not. And they can get really time consuming if you don't have all the professional level programs like Photoshop. For many of my cards I have worked for days. I have searched for materials, sometimes I've made a trip to some place (with two kids along) to take photos, sometimes I have spent nights searching for material in the Internet. (And you all know how much I appreciate those who scan vintage material and give it to us all to use for free!) Some material I have bought and scanned. I have worked on backgrounds, combining elements, changing sizes and forms and colours, cutting, pasting, and so on. I don't use brushes on my own ATCs, so everything is "digitally crafted" without handy fast commands. I have combined 3 different freeware programs in order to achieve the quality I want (or at least to get close to it).  When it seems to someone that I'm working rapidly, it's only because I'm using material that I have prepared earlier and stored for later use. I have stored backgrounds, self made masks, altered images and other material that I have made to be used when needed. I have done this all on my small laptop, without any media tablets and with the integrated touch pad mouse. It is time consuming.

I think I would work way faster if I was making traditional collages, mixed media or drawings as paper, pens, paint and glue are materials I'm familiar with and have used since I was a kid. But let's face it: digital work isn't as messy and I can easily switch off the computer when my kids need my attention without any fear of leaving materials behind for someone to cut herself or get poisoned or sufocated or inspired to draw on walls or floor with markers or brake the tip of my best fineliners... Cutting and mounting the prints is a task I can schedule to be done at night when they have gone to sleep. It's simple and doesn't require too many different kinds of material. (And even so I have lost many of my best fineliners and found marker attacs on the floor!)

Right, so next time I hear someone telling me "I would love it if it wasn't a digital" I'd really like to know what you mean by that? I mean, my ATCs are not digitally delivered, I do print and mount them myself. They are not copies nor duplicates either, I have carefully made each of them and there's only one print of each. You never need to worry of someone else having the same card. If someone makes aquarels, do you tell the person "I'd really love it if it wasn't a water colour painting"?

I do trade for different mediums; hand drawn, painted, collaged, mixed medium, digital, cross stitch and so on. I wish the card I trade for is as unique as the card I'm trading. I trust that the person I'm trading with has used the best personal skills and knowlegde and made the card with care. That's it. I give away my best work and expect it from others as well. If it has my favourite theme (maybe a bird or a butterfly or some oher creature or flowers) I will be extremely pleased. I do not expect people to use the same amount of time and preparation for their cards that I use for mine. I have seen very simple cards with just a couple of funny lines of fineliner and I'm sure it couldn't have taken too many minutes to finish the drawing. But if the idea is fantastic, and the finished work is beautiful / funny / adorable it doesn't need to take ages to complete, does it?


Tämä aihe on vaivannut minua siitä lähtien kun aloin tehdä ATC-kortteja. Ei siksi, että se olisi itselleni ongelma, vaan siksi että se vaikuttaa olevan jotenkin vastenmielinen ajatus useimmille muille. Teen ATC-korttini digitaalisesti. Se on kovin harvan mielestä hyväksyttävää. Käsitän toki, että on ihmisiä, jotka pitävät vain käsin piirretyistä tai maalatuista kuvista. He eivät hyäksy edes kollaaseja. Sitten on erityisiä tyylejä kuten zetti ja zentangle, jotka joitenkin mielestä ovat todella ihastuttavia ja toisten mielestä taas lähinnä vihastuttavia. On ihmisiä, jotka keräävät vain tietyn aihepiirin kortteja. Tajuan.

Omat korttini ovat kollaaseja, ja käyttämäni tekoväline on tietokone. Voisin varmaan myös piirtää tietokoneella, mutta tykkään tehdä kollaaseja ja yhdistellä kuvia, joilla ei alunperin ollut mitään tekemistä keskenään. Tyylistäni ei kuitenkaan saa satunnaista vaikutelmaa, vaan lopputulos usein näyttää siltä, kuin uusyhdistetyt elementit olisivat aina kuuluneet yhteen.


Tyylini tai korttieni laatu ei koskaan ole ollut ongelman ydin. Niistä ei koskaan ole kukaan valittanut. Useimmat ovat kiitelleet korttieni tasoa, ikäänkuin se olisi tullut heille jotenkin yllätyksenä. Korttini on tulostettu laadukkaalle mattapaperille ja pohjustettu tukevalle pahville. Korttien kääntöpuolet on myös viimeistelty. Miksi sitten monet kieltäytyvät vaihtamasta kortteja kanssani? No siksi, kun ne on tehty digitaalisesti.

Alunperin aloin tehdä ATC- kortteja digitaalisesti tietystä syystä. Olin ollut kotona kahden lapsen kanssa jo yli 3 vuotta ilman mahdollisuutta mennä koskaan minnekään ilman lapsia tai viettää vapaapäiviä. En ollut päässyt taiteilemaan... no, siitä saakka kun ensimmäinen lapsi syntyi. Asuin tosi pienessä asunnossa, jossa ei oikein ollut tilaakaan tehdä mitään. Kahden lapsen kanssa eläessä aikaakin on vain silloin, kun molemmat lapset nukkuvat. (Lapsettomalle ei ehkä tule edes mieleen, etteivät lapsukaiset välttämättä satukaan nukahtamaan samaan aikaan.) Vauvan ja taaperon kanssa saa muutenkin olla tarkkana; unohdapa sakset, veitset tai laadukkaat taiteilijan tarvikkeet näkösälle, niin huonosti käy.
Olen lapsesta saakka ollut "luova" enkä ole pitänyt piirtämistä harrastuksena. Minulle se on melkein yhtä automaattista kuin hengittäminen tai kävely. Kun näen kynän, tartun siihen ja alan piirtää. Lapsena minulta usein kysyttiin, harrastinko piirtämistä. Vastasin aina kieltävästi. Ei se ole harrastus. Se on elämäntapa, tapa olla, peilata sisintään ja kommunikoida. Ja nyt olin ollut jo yli kolme vuotta ilman tätä perustarvetta. Minun oli pakko alkaa taas luoda jotain, tavalla tai toisella. Ja sitten tujotin tietokonetta lampun syttyessä päässäni, ja ihmettelin, miksen aiemmin ollut tajunnut sitä; voihan tietokoneellakin tehdä kuvia ihan yhtä lailla kuin muillakin välineillä.

 Saamani kommentit ovat vaihdelleet mukavista tosi outoihin: "Anteeksi, mutta rehellisesti sanottuna voisin kyllä itsekin tehdä tuollaisen kuvan jos haluaisin, koska osaan työskennellä digitaalisesti." on yksi oudoimmasta päästä. Ihan rehellisesti sanottuna minäkin voisin tehdä aika monta niistä kollaaseista ja piirroksista, joita näen, koska osaan itsekin käyttää saksia, liimaa, kynää ja paperia. Sanonko kuitenkaan tuota ääneen? No en. Rehellisesti sanottuna minusta se on jo ajatuksenakin outo, ja toisen työn kopioiminen olisi paitsi typerää myös laitonta. Toisten ideoita ja töitä tulee kunnioittaa, vaikka teknisesti kykenisikin jäljentämään taideteoksen. Ja miksi kukaan haluaisi kopioida toisen työn, jos on kykenevä tekemään jotain omaperäistä?

 Toisilta voi saada innoitusta ja halun tehdä jotain saman tyylistä, mutta ei kuitenkaan tarkalleen samanlaista. Kun siis näen jotain, mistä pidän, en suinkaan ryntää heti kopioimaan kuvaa, vaan ihastelen sitä, että joku sai loistavan ajatuksen ennen minua ja vieläpä toteutti sen upeaksi taideteokseksi. Joskus useampikin ihminen saa samanlaatuisen ajatuksen, ja toteutukset voivat muistuttaa suuresti toisiaan olematta kuitenkaan toistensa kopioita. Joten miksi ihmeessä sitten on niin vaikeaa arvostaa toisten ideoita? Mikä saa jonkun sanomaan "kyllä minäkin tuohon pystyisin" sen sijaan, että sanoisi "onpa hieno, kunpa se olisi minun!". Onko se jotenkin toiselta pois? Uskooko sanoja, että maailmassa on vain rajallinen määrä ideoita, ja että jos joku saa yhden, niin hänelle ei jää mitään?

 Kokonaan oma aspektinsa on se, että jotkut kuvittelevat digitaalisten kuvien tekemisen olevan liian helppoa ja nopeaa. Se ei pidä paikkaansa. Ja vielä aikaa vievämpää siitä tulee, ellei käytössä ole ammattilaistason ohjelmistoja. useimpia korttejani olen työstänyt päiväkaupalla. Olen etsinyt materiaalia, joskus lähtenyt lasten kanssa kuvausretkelle, joskus istunut yökausia koneen äärellä etsien materiaalia netistä. (Ja kaikki varmaan tietävät, kuinka suuressa arvossa pidän heitä, jotka skannaavat materiaalia verkkoon meille muille ilmaiseksi käytettäväksi!) Osan materiaalista olen itse ostanut ja skannannut. Olen työstänyt taustakuvia, yhdistänyt elementtejä, muuttanut kokoa, muotoa ja väriä jne. Omissa korteissani en käytä ohjemoituja siveltimiä, joten kaikki on "digikäsityönä" tehty ilman pikakomentoja. Käytän kolmen ilmaisohjelmiston yhdistelmää saavuttaakseni tavoittelemani laadun (tai edes lähestyäkseni sitä). Jos ulkopuolisesta näyttääkin siltä, että jälkeä syntyy nopeasti, se johtuu vain siitä, että käytän jo aiemmin valmiiksi työstämääni materiaalia. Olen varastoinut taustakuvia, itsetehtyjä maskeja, muunneltuja kuvia ja muuta ennakkoon myöhempää käyttöä varten tekemääni materiaalia. Kaikki on tehty pienellä läppärillä, ilman edes erillistä hiirtä piirustusalustasta nyt puhumattakaan. Se on aikaavievää.

 Työskentelisin varmasti nopeammin, jos tekisin perinteisiä kollaaseja tai piirroksia, koska paperi, kynät ja liima ovat minulle jo lapsuudesta tuttuja materiaaleja. Mutta realistisesti ajatellen: digitaalinen työskentely on huomattavasti siistimpää ja lapsiturvallisempaa. Sylimikron saa näppärästi kiinni, jos lapset tarvitsevat huomiota, eikä tarvitse pelätä että jälkeen jää jotain materiaalia, jolla voi leikata, tukehduttaa tai myrkyttää itsensä tai inspiroitua piirtämään lattiaan tai katkomaan piirustuskynien kärjet. Tulosteiden leikkuu ja liimaus ovat helposti ajallisesti rajattava toimenpide, jonka voi suorittaa vaikka iltayöstä lasten mentyä nukkumaan. Se on yksinkertaista, eikä vaadi kovin laajamittaista välineistöä. (Ja siitä huolimatta olen joskus löytänyt tussin jälkiä lattiasta ja piirustuskynät pilattuina!)

 Eli, kun seuraavan kerran minulle sanotaan "Tykkäisin, ellei se olisi digitaalinen", niin haluanpa tietää, mitä se tarkoittaa? Koska enhän minä sentään digitaalista tiedostoa ole vaihtamassa, kyllä minä itse tulostan ja pohjustan työni. Korttini eivät myöskään ole kopioita, vaan jokainen on huolella valmistettu ja uniikki. Ei tarvitse kuvitella, että jollain toisella olisi samanlainen. Sanotaanko akvarellimaalarillekin, että "tykkäisin, ellei olisi vesivärityö"?

 Itse vaihdan korttejani eri tekniikoilla tehtyihin; piirroksiin, maalauksiin, kollaaseihin, sekatekniikalla tehtyihin, digitaalisiin, ristipistoihin jne. Toivon, että vaihdokki on yhtä ainutlaatuinen kuin omakin korttini. Luotan, että kortin vaihtaja on käyttänyt parhaita henkilökohtaisia kykyjään ja taitojaan ja tehnyt kortin huolella. Siinä se. Itse luovutan aina parhaan työni, ja odotan toisilta samaa. Jos kortissa on vielä suosikkiteemani (vaikkapa lintuja tai perhosia tai muita luonnon ihmeitä), olen oikein mielissäni. Sen sijaan en odota muilta samaa ajallista panostusta kuin itse käytän töihini. Olen nähnyt niin yksinkertaisia parilla viivalla tehtyjä kuvia, että voin olla varma, ettei työn loppuun viemiseen ole vaadittu montaa minuuttia. Mutta tarvitseeko siihen ikuisuutta käyttääkään, jos lopputulos on hurmaava tai hupaisa?






4 kommenttia:

  1. Susie, I think your digital ATCs are FABULOUS!!! I know you put a lot of time into them! Honestly, I think you could sell them as greeting card designs. If someone tells you they could do it themselves then they would
    just be copying you. I believe your cards are unique and no two are printed the same (as I've requested a trade and you've told me that particular one has already been traded). Don't listen to those people telling you that digital is not good, it's your medium for now and you are very good at it!!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thank you for your kind words Wendy. They are much appreciated. :-) I'm now quite used to hearing those rude comments but I still don't understand where they come from. :-D When I started making digitals, I was quite unhappy for hearing them all the time.

    Your style is above everything and I'm really fortuned for having had the opportunity to trade with you!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Susie, I think that if they do not want to trade with you, then it's their loss, your work is OUTSANDING and your ATC'S are within my favorites in my collection. I'D take your cards any day over some of the crappy ATC'S that some people have sent me.

    As Wendy mentionned, you only send us unique cards, that makes them special. You've never done 2 alike and you change in looks and colors regularly. I can't even imagine someone would ever make you doubt in the quality of your work.

    And be the way... I think you and I are due for another trade...

    HUGS from Montreal
    France xoxo

    VastaaPoista
  4. Thank you France, you're too kind. :-) And it's always been a pleasure to trade with you! Do you mean I should go and have a peak at you gallery? ;-)

    VastaaPoista

Kiitokset kommentista! Thank you for leaving a comment!

To leave a comment:

1) Choose a profile to use from the scroll down field(Kommentti nimellä). If you don't have a profile, use the "ANONYMOYS" option, which is "nimetön" in Finnish
2) "Lähetä kommentti" is the SUBMIT button
3) Sometimes the comment form doesn't function well, please try submitting your comment again if this happens.